Lori's Side of the Story: 40 days        
 
                 
     
       
     
     
       

Thursday, February 23, 2012

40 days

Join me in my for '40 bags in 40 days'. I started last year during Lent and I really liked it, so I'm doing it again this year. Sarah, at Clover Lane blog, introduced me to the idea. Here's what she had to say about it:



"The gist of it: During Lent (40 days) rid your house of 40 bags of stuff...things you don't love, don't use, junk, accumulated stuff, clutter, garbage.

Of course you can do the 40 bag thing ANY time. Why Lent? To me, Lent is a time of prayer, renewal, self-reflection, sacrifice, self-control, repentance and almsgiving. It does seem silly to me to somehow try to link a good old home decluttering with something as deeply spiritual as the Lenten season, but the first time I did 40 bags/40 days it was much more meaningful to me than just getting rid of junk. I thought long and hard about how much we really needed vs. how much we had, I became more aware of how we spent our time and money, I had the chance to feel the rewards of charity (and so did my children) giving away to those in need some of the things we took for granted. It was a physical cleansing of the space we were all growing together in, as a family, but it also freed up space in my heart and mind for awareness and purpose-I didn't want my house buried under "stuff" and I didn't want my heart and mind buried under "stuff" either-and I learned that often the physical reflects the spiritual and vice versa.

It sounds overwhelming but it's not, I promise. It's a slow process and almost miraculously, the spiritual part of the practice will unfold naturally as you begin the physical work."







No comments:

Post a Comment