Lori's Side of the Story: Watchful eyes        
 
                 
     
       
     
     
       

Monday, January 31, 2011

Watchful eyes

Matt got a camera for our home a long time ago. If he was traveling, he wanted to be able to see the boys when he called. He also just randomly checks out what's going on in the house while he is away. He watched Dylan tie his shoes for the first time from that camera and has chatted with the boys many times during breakfast as well. When he told me he got the camera, I was a little nervous about how I would know if he was watching or not. There is a green light on the camera when it is in use. Oh, ok. I'm not really sure why I was nervous, but when that light is on I am very aware of being watched. And you know what, I act better. Not that I am normally a horrible person, but I just try harder to be/act better.v Last week I was again reminded of being watched, this time at my job instead of my house. I was sitting at circle time with my class listening to the other teacher read a book and I saw a little girl out of the corner of my eye "secretly" watching me. Not only was she watching me very intently, she was copying me. Positioning her legs like I had mine, folding her hands like I did, sitting up nice and straight like I did, moving her legs when I shifted mine. I started to think about all the eyes that watch me; my students, my own children, people at the grocery store, my coworkers, my friends and family, strangers...God and I realized that being watched is a good thing. Shouldn't we all act like we are being watched, trying to do better, trying to set good examples for others to follow, acting in such a way that others can see Christ shine through us? Now I don't really check that green light as much because I know I am constantly being watched by someone and I am trying to do better and sometimes I fail miserably but sometimes, just sometimes, I don't.






1 comment: